- Site Index
- Web Resources
- MPR Resources
An Owner's Manual
- CASE HOME introduces the case, describes the situation facing
the Governor, the task facing you as the Governor's advisor, and the structure
of the case along with hints about finding information efficiently.
- ROUNDTABLE gives you perspectives
on state policy towards economic development incentives through the eyes
of key figures in the debate.
- Rick Carlisle, Economic
Policy Advisor to the Governor
- Gary Carlton, Director
of Business and Industry Development, Department of Commerce
- Daniel T. Blue, Jr. (D-Wake
County), North Carolina House of Representatives
- John Hood, President, The
John Locke Foundation
- The Editorial
Page: Editorials and opinions about incentives from North Carolina's
- BRIEFINGS provides information
on the issues through four special reports, each with a short narrative
followed by a section of key links:
- Incentive Policy
- a brief sketch of the evolution of state-level policy towards incentives
with links to the reports of the Incentives Task Force and news articles.
- The Maready Case -
an outline of the history of the Maready case with links to principal and
amici briefs, as well as reportage.
- The Art of the Deal
- a view through news articles into the projects that make up the daily
business of industrial recruitment.
- Business and the Economy
- links to key sources of information about the economy of North Carolina
and the state's business climate.
- GUIDE, a site index with links to web-based resources and
a reading list, is the page you're on now.
- OUT-BOX provides an email link for comments and suggestions.
The KSG Case Program appreciates the willingness of the office of the Economic Policy Advisor to the Governor, State of North Carolina, to make available the reports of the Economic Development Board Incentives Task Force for use in this case.
Reports of the Incentives Task Force, Economic Development Board
Final Report, March 4,
Interim Report, November
Appendix D: A State-by-State
Analysis of Estimated Incentive Packages and Taxes
The Maready Case: Legal Briefs
NOTE: The briefs assembled for this case have been abridged
to focus on those sections addressing policy issues beyond the constitutional
challenge posed by the case.
The Kennedy School of Government's Case Program appreciates the efforts made by Mr. Maready, the Attorney
General of North Carolina, and the amici curiæ to supply documents
for this case.
William F. Maready, Plaintiff-Appellee
State of North Carolina, Defendor-Intervenor-Appellant
In support of Maready
John Locke Foundation, Inc.
A joint brief of Maurice
and Jane Sugar Law Center For Economic and Social Justice, Corporation For
Enterprise Development, Calumet Project, Share the Wealth, Federation for
Industrial Retention and Renewal, and Grassroots Policy Project
In support of the State
The North Carolina Economic
Developers Association and Others
The Decision of the Court
Supreme Court's Decision, March 8, 1996 (via NandoNet)
The publications below have generously agreed to make articles available
for use with this case. See Web Resources below for the publications' homepages.
The Business Journal, Charlotte, N.C.
The Charlotte Observer
Greensboro News & Record
News & Observer, Raleigh, N.C.
Click here for a chronological list of articles
used in the case.
MPR Symposium on The Economic War Among the States
This case study was first used as part of "The Economic War Among the States: A Symposium for National Discussion". Minnesota Public Radio's Civic Journalism Initiative organized the symposium, which took place in Washington, D.C., in May, 1996, and simultaneously mounted a broad effort aimed at providing the public with educational resources about the use of economic development incentives at the state and local level throughout the country.
Through the web site MPR Online, the Civic Journalism Initiative continues to maintain an array of links to background materials assembled in preparation for the symposium as well as records of the event's proceedings. These include:
- The home page of "The Economic War Among the States: A Symposium for National Discussion".
- Introduction to the Issue
- Offers several papers that cover both economic and legal perspectives on the issue, including an essay published by the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis in 1995 which introduced the issue to many government and financial leaders.
- Public Radio Broadcasts
- Broadcasts about the issue aired on two nationally-heard public radio programs. Marketplace broadcast a series of three reports the week of April 8, 1996. Talk of the Nation broadcast live during the conference May 22, 1996 with a national call-in program. Broadcast transcripts and audio files of the Marketplace series are available along with links to the Talk of the Nation audio site.
- Conference Overview
- A conference in Washington, D.C. in late May pulled together over 60 national experts from business, labor, government and academia. They identified six major policy questions for national discussion.
North Carolina and the Southeast
North Carolina Newspapers on the Web from NewsLink
Economic Indicators see BRIEFINGS: BUSINESS AND THE ECONOMY
John F. Kennedy School of Government
| Case Home
| Guide | Out-Box | Web Resources |