Rappaport Urban Scholars Tapped for Leadership Posts
February 10, 2011
David Luberoff (Executive Director, Rappaport Institute for Greater Boston)
Seven current or former Rappaport Urban Scholars currently were recently appointed or reappointed as chairs or vice-chairs of key committee in the Massachusetts State Legislature and two more were tapped for leadership posts as well. In the Senate:
- Sen. Jack Hart has been appointed as majority whip;
- Sen. Thomas Kennedy was tapped as co-chair of the Joint Committee on Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure; and
- Newly elected Sen. Barry Finegold will be vice-chair of the Joint Committee on Housing.
In the House,
- Rep. Kevin Honan was reappointed co-chair of the Joint Committee on Housing;
- Rep. Charles Murphy was appointed Assistant Majority Leader;
- Rep. Alice Peisch is the newly appointed co-chair of the Joint Committee on Education;
- Rep. Jeffrey Sanchez was reappointed as co-chair of the Joint Committee on Public Health;
- Rep. William Straus was tapped to co-chair the Joint Committee on Transportation; and
- Rep. Steve Walsh is new co-chair the Joint Committee on Health Care Financing.
In addition, Governor Deval Patrick tapped former Rep. Peter Koutoujian, also a former Rappaport Urban Scholar, to fill the vacant post of Middlesex County Sheriff.
The Rappaport Urban Scholars Program provides scholarships to the Kennedy School’s Mid-Career/Master in Public Administration program for local elected and appointed officials.