For information on Education, Employment, Affiliations, Awards, Teaching, Presentations,Grants, and other research see full CV.
Racial Disparities in Labor Markets and Health Care
Productivity and Cost Growth in Health Care
Publications in Economics
1."Productivity Spillovers in Healthcare: Evidence from the Treatment of Heart Attacks," Journal of Political Economy February 2007, with Douglas Staiger.
2. "The Labor Market Effects of Rising Health Insurance Premiums," Journal of Labor Economics July 2006, with Katherine Baicker.
3. "Disability Risk and the Value of Disability Insurance," in David Culter and David Wise (Editors), Health In Older Ages: The Causes and Consequences of Declining Disability Among the Elderly. University of Chicago Press, 2006, with Andrew Samwick.
4. "The Effect of Malpractice Liability on the Delivery of Health Care," in David M. Cutler and Alan M. Garber (Eds.) Frontiers of Health Policy Research Vol 8, 2005, with Katherine Baicker.
5. "The Consequences of the Growth in Health Insurance Premiums," American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings 94(2), May 2005, with Katherine Baicker.
6. "Iatrogenic Specification Error: A Cautionary Tale of Cleaning Data," Journal of Labor Economics, April 2005, with Christopher Bollinger.
7. "The Productivity of Physician Specialization," American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings 93(2), May 2004, with Katherine Baicker.
8."Children, Nondiscriminatory Provision of Fringe Benefits, and Household Labor Market Decisions," Research in Labor Economics 22(1), 2003, with Mark C. Berger, Dan A. Black, and Frank A. Scott.
9. "Labor Market Dropouts and the Racial Wage Gap," American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings 89(2), May 2000.
10. "Does Public Infrastructure Affect Economic Activity? Evidence from the Interstate Highway System," with Eric Thompson, Regional Science and Urban Economics 30(4), July 2000.
11. "Health Insurance Coverage of the Unemployed: COBRA and the Potential Effects of
Kassebaum-Kennedy," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 18(3), Summer 1999, with Mark C. Berger, Dan A. Black and Frank A. Scott.
12. "Taxes and the Timing of Births," Journal of Political Economy 107(1), February 1999, with Stacy Dickert-Conlin.
13. "Profiling Workers for Unemployment Insurance" in David D. Balducchi (Ed.). Worker Profiling and Reemployment Services Systems. U.S. Department of Labor, 1997, (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office), with Mark C. Berger and Dan A. Black, pp. 47-54.
Publications in Health Policy
14. "Myths and Misconceptions about Health Insurance," Health Affairs, October 2008 27(6), with Katherine Baicker.
15. "Is Spending More Always Wasteful? The Appropriateness Of Care And Outcomes Among Colorectal Cancer Patients," Health Affairs, January 2008 27(1), with Mary Beth Landrum, Ellen Meara, Edward Guadanoli, and Nancy Keating.
16. "Medical Malpractice Liability and the Practice of Medicine in the Medicare Program," Health Affairs, May 2007 26(3), with Katherine Baicker and Elliott Fisher.
17. "Do Race Specific Models Explain Disparities in Treatments after Acute Myocardial Infarction?" American Heart Journal May 2007 153(5), with Ashish Jha, Lee Lucas, and Douglas Staiger.
18. "Differences in Neonatal Mortality among Whites and Asian American Subgroups: Evidence from California," Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine January 2007 161(1) with Laurence Baker, Chris Afendulis, Ciaran Phibbs, Shannon McConville and Elena Fuentes-Afflick.
19. "Geographic Variation in the Appropriate Use of Cesarean Delivery," Health Affairs August 8 2006, with Katherine Baicker and Kasey S. Buckles.
20. "Defensive Medicine and Disappearing Doctors?" Regulation 28(3) Fall 2005, with Katherine Baicker.
22. "Mortality After Acute Myocardial Infarction in Hospitals that Disproportionately Treat African Americans," Circulation, October 25th 2005, with Jonathan Skinner, Douglas Staiger, Julie Lee, and Mark McClellan.
23. "The Growth of Physician Malpractice Payments: Evidence from the National Practitioner Data Bank," Health Affairs April 2005, with Shantanu Nundy and Seth A. Seabury.
24. "Hospital-level Racial Disparities in Acute Myocardial Infarction Treatment and Outcomes," Medical Care 43(4), April 2005, with Amber Barnato, Lee Lucas, Douglas Staiger and David Wennberg
25. "Geographic Variation and the Problem of Measuring Racial Disparities in Health Care," Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 48(1) 2005, with Katherine Baicker and Jonathan Skinner.
26. "Who You Are and Where You Live: How Race and Geography Affect the Treatment of Medicare Beneficiaries," Health Affairs October 2004, with Katherine Baicker, Jonathan Skinner and John E. Wennberg.
27. "Medicare Spending, the Physician Workforce, and the Quality of Care Received by Medicare Beneficiaries," Health Affairs April 2004 , with Katherine Baicker.
28. "Geography and Racial Health Disparities" in Norman B. Anderson, Rodolfo A. Bulatao and Barney Cohen (Eds). Critical Perspectives: on Racial and Ethnic Differences in Health in Late Life, National Research Council 2004 (The National Academies Press: Washington D.C.), with Jonathan Skinner.
29. "Cooper's Analysis Is Incorrect" Health Affairs. With Katherine Baicker.
30. "The Elusive Connection Between Health Care Spending and Quality" Health Affairs. With Jonathan Skinner, Elliott Fisher, and David Goodman.
31. "Pitfalls in the Analysis of Regional Variations in Health Care: A Response to Hadly, Berenson, Waidmann, and Zuckerman." with Elliot Fisher and Jonathan Skinner. August 23, 2007.
32. "Aging and Death under a Dollar a Day," by Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo, in David A. Wise (Editor). Economics of Aging, University of Chicago Press, forthcoming (Conference at the Boulders, AZ in May 2007).
33. "Income, aging, health and wellbeing around the world: Evidence from the Gallup World Poll," by Angus Deaton, in David A. Wise (Editor). Economics of Aging, University of Chicago Press, forthcoming (Conference at the Boulders, AZ in May 2007).
34. "Health and Well-being in Udaipur and South Africa," by Angus Deaton and Anne Case, in David A. Wise (Editor). Developments in the Economics of Aging, University of Chicago Press 2007, forthcoming (Conference at the Boulders, AZ in May 2005).
35. "The Metrics of the Physician Brain Drain," New England Journal of Medicine 354, February 2, 2006, pp. 528-30.
36. "Consequences of Selling a Kidney in India," Journal of the American Medical Association 289, 2003, pp. 697-98.
37. "Patient Cost-Sharing, Hospitalization Offsets and Design of Optimal Health Insurance for the Elderly," NBER w12972, with Jonathan Gruber and Robin McKnight. Second Round Revise and Resubmit at the American Economic Review (revision available here).
38. "Is the Convergence in the Racial Wage Gap Illusory?' NBER w9476. Revise and Resubmit a the Journal of Human Resources.
39. "Technology and Expenditure Growth in Healthcare," with Jonathan S. Skinner. Revise an Resubmit at the Journal of Economic Literature.
40. "Relationship between Hospital Quality and Spending Intensity," with Laura Yasaitis, Elliott Fisher and Jonathan Skinner. Revise and Resubmit at Health Affairs.
41. "Identifying Provider Prejudice in Health Care," with Douglas Staiger.
42. "Outcomes Assessment and Health Care Reform," with Elliott Fisher and Jonathan S. Skinner.
43. "Racial Disparities for Ambulatory Diabetes Care Across Physician-Hospital Networks," with Julie Bynum, Elliott Fisher, and Jonathan Skinner.
Research in Progress
44. "Cost Growth in US Healthcare," with Julie Bynum, Jonathan Skinner and Elliott Fisher.
45. "Quality of Care for Newborns in Hospitals that Disproportionately Serve African Americans," with Loren Baker, Ciaran Phibbs, Elena Fuentes-Afflick, Christopher Afendulis.
46. "US Immigration Policy and the Skill Quality of Immigrants," with Alexis Leon.
47. "Optimal Healthcare Expenditures" with Debopam Bhattacharya.
48. "Missing Women in India" with Benjamin Feigenberg.