Cash, David W., and Susanne C. Moser. 1998. "Information and Decision Making Systems for the Effective Management of Cross-Scale Environmental Problems: A Theoretical Concept Paper." Global Environmental Assessment Project Working Paper. Prepared for the workshop "Local Response to Global Change: Strategies of Information Transfer and Decision Making for Cross-scale Environmental Risks," 29-30 January 1998, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
Full text: PDF version (Download free Adobe Acrobat Reader)
This paper provides the beginnings of a theoretical framework for analyzing how information and decision making systems can effectively be structured to address cross-scale environmental management problems. While a number of different fields have addressed the issue of why scale matters, few have explored, either theoretically or empirically, the unique questions associated with cross-scales interactions. Cross-scale interactions are those in which events or phenomena at one level of scale influences events at other levels. We therefore ask how the multi-scale nature of a problem influences responses to environmental risks, with particular focus on how information and decision making systems can be more effectively structured. In asking this question we begin in Section 1 with a set of illustrations that show why cross scale dynamics matter for environmental management. In Section 2 we survey a range of literatures that address issues of scale, information, and decision making. Section 3 synthesizes our findings, and Section 4 poses research questions and directions for further work.
- · Revised paper presented at the Union of Concerned Scientists
- New Citation: Moser, Susanne C., and David W. Cash. 1999. "Linking Global and Local Scales: Design Guidelines for Dynamic Assessment & Management Processes." Presented 4 June 1999 to the Union of Concerned Scientists, Cambridge, MA.
- · Revised paper presented at Third Open Meeting of the Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change Research Community
- New Citation: Moser, Susanne C., and David W. Cash. 1999. "Global Change Information for U.S. Coastal Zone and Water Resource Management: Linking Institutions across Scale and Other Boundaries." Presented at the Third Open Meeting of the Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change Research Community, 24-26 June 1999, Shonan Village, Japan.
- · Revised version published in the Global Environmental Change journal (Abstract)
- New Citation: Cash, David W., and Susanne C. Moser. 2000. "Linking Global and Local Scales: Designing Dynamic Assessment and Management Processes." Global Environmental Change 10(2): 109-120. [Full Text - Restricted Access]
|Home | Overview | Publications | People | Search | Subscribe | Sponsors|
webmaster with any comments, questions, or problems.|
For information about related activities, visit the Science, Environment and Development Group web site.
Copyright © 2006 President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Report copyright infringements.
Last modified: 01 May 2006