We encourage you to apply for financial assistance regardless of financial need. The majority of our fellowships and scholarships are primarily merit based. By applying for financial assistance, you will be considered for a variety of awards.
If you plan to apply for financial assistance, you must submit your master’s degree application before you can access our financial aid application.
The deadline to submit your financial assistance application is Friday, January 12, 2024 at 12 p.m. ET. To access the financial aid application, you should visit your application status portal and select the Financial Aid tab.
Applicants who are admitted to the Kennedy School and who submitted a financial aid application will be notified of their admission and financial aid decisions in March.
Financial Aid Application Timeline
- November: Financial aid application available to applicants
- December 1, 2023 at 12 p.m. ET: Admission application deadline
- Late December: 2024-25 FAFSA available for completion* (U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and eligible noncitizens)
- January 12, 2024 at 12 p.m. ET: Financial aid application deadline; FAFSA deadline (U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and eligible noncitizens)
- March: Admission and financial aid decisions announced
- April: Admission and financial aid response deadline
Applying for Financial Aid Checklist
- Research Harvard and external fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
- Submit your application for admission—this is required before you can access the HKS Application for Financial Assistance.
- Complete the HKS Application for Financial Assistance—after you have submitted your application for admission—by visiting this website and selecting the “Application for Financial Aid” tab.
- If you are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
*The U.S. Department of Education is implementing significant changes to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2024-25 academic year. The 2024-25 FAFSA is currently expected to be available in December.