You may request a replacement diploma from the Office of the RegistrarĀ if your original Harvard Kennedy School diploma has been lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed. If your diploma was damaged, or if you are requesting a diploma to reflect a name change, you must send us your original diploma. You cannot hold two diplomas.

The registrar can only process your request if you provide the following:

  • Your full name
  • Diploma name (name recorded on the original diploma)
  • Degree awarded
  • Date the degree was granted
  • Original signature
  • Shipping address, including a telephone number
  • Reason for the replacement
  • A $150 check or money order made payable to Harvard University

Mail your request to:
Harvard Kennedy School
Office of the Registrar
Attn: Diploma Replacement
79 JFK Street, Box 93
Cambridge, MA 02138

It will take 4-6 weeks to print your replacement diploma. When ready, it will be sent via insured and certified mail. Include your current email address if you would like to receive a notification when your replacement diploma is on its way to you.

Be sure to note the following before sending your letter of request:

  • If you are replacing a damaged diploma, it must be returned to the HKS Office of the Registrar to process your request
  • If a diploma is destroyed in a fire or a catastrophic event, we require a copy of the insurance or police report
  • If a diploma was stolen, we require a copy of the insurance or police report
  • If the diploma is lost in a move, we require some type of proof, such as an insurance report or notarized statement stating the facts

If you want your diploma to reflect your legal name change, you must return your original diploma to the HKS Office of the Registrar. You cannot hold two diplomas. Provide us with a copy of the court document or notarized letter confirming your legal name change.