Below you will find helpful information and resources for this year's program, which will be conducted virtually this year.
Learn more and register
Watch this video to learn about the Alumni-Student Career Shadowing Program, a unique opportunity to gain direct access to our alumni and their careers. This year’s program will take place virtually during J-term 2023.
What is it?
- Goal: Participating students will have an opportunity connect virtually with alumni in January 2023, where they can learn about their host’s organization, career, and post-HKS experience.
- Dates: Any day between January 3–20, 2023 (J-Term). On occasion, students and alums may schedule activities on other dates.
- Activities might include:
- observing a virtual staff or client meeting
- a one-on-one meeting virtual meeting to learn about your host’s professional journey
- a one-on-one virtual meeting to receive career advice, feedback on a resume, and/or suggestions on further resources for career exploration
- introductions and/or virtual meetings with colleagues in the same or a different department
How am I matched with an alumnus/a? Students will choose which person they would like to be matched with, based on location and area(s) of interest.
What happens once I choose an alumnus/a to be matched with? You are put in touch with your host, after which it is your responsibility to follow up and arrange for a meeting date.
Will I meet with my match in person? The format of the program this year will be held virtually, which gives you the opportunity to meet with alumni in countries or regions where you would not have been able to visit during J-term under normal circumstances. If circumstances allow, and both you and your host are comfortable with it, you are welcome to arrange for an in-person meeting.
What is the value in this program—is it worth my time?
This is a unique opportunity for students to get to know an alum in a one-on-one setting and learn from his/her experience and career insights. Past shadowing experiences have led to long-lasting professional relationships and even job opportunities for some students.
Does this last the entire January-term, like an internship? No, the shadowing experience is meant to be for a few hours, or an entire day, depending on what is most convenient for the alum and student.
Who are the hosts and where can I learn more about them? A list and bios will be provided to students prior to signing up for your match.
Can I sign up for more than one host? Initially we ask that students sign up for no more than two hosts. After a few days have passed and everyone has had the opportunity to register, we may open it up so that you can select more.
When do sign ups begin? The registration period will last from November 7–December 6, 2022.