About the Work
The Center for International Development is Harvard University’s hub for cutting-edge research on the world’s most pressing international development issues. The center brings researchers and practitioners together to collaborate, using the latest analytical tools to address pressing development challenges. CID builds, convenes, and deploys global talent worldwide to build a thriving world for all.
CID is seeking a Communications Strategy Consultant while the Associate Director of Communications and Events is on leave in the Winter and Spring of 2023. This position provides an opportunity to be a part of CID’s close-knit team, and to play a leading role in developing our CID’s new communications strategy.
- Immediate opening, up to 14 hours per week
- Individual must have US Work Authorization, be able to travel to Cambridge, and live in a state where Harvard has a registered payroll.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Build CID’s network external to Harvard
- Identify and build relationships with important constituencies, including within the media (reporters, editors, and producers), public, civil and for-profit networks.
- Cultivate support for international development research through influential communications, such as prominent opinion-editorial placements written by faculty.
Develop strategy and messaging for CID
- Lead, develop, and steward CID’s communications priorities through media, digital platforms, publications, and additional public relations strategies.
- Draft press releases, personnel announcements, and timely media alerts. Handles interview requests.
- Produce messages, briefings and talking points, as well as recommendations related public outreach and press strategy, for CID’s senior leadership.
- Guide the event messaging for high-visibility events.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 10 years of experience in public relations, communications, or journalism with increasing job responsibilities and with a significant portion of that time dedicated to international development.
- Experience with both internal and external communications, managing press relations and developing communications strategies.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and editing.
- Strong connections with major media outlets, in particular in the international development area.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, provide sound strategic communications advice, and demonstrate excellent judgment on complex issues.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines, as well as the ability to work successfully both independently and as part of a team.
- Must have the ability to innovate, think strategically and conceptually, listen carefully as well as to influence and persuade others. The position requires an extremely high level of professionalism, sound and mature judgment, and collegiality.
Interested candidates can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Strategy Consultant” in the subject line.