Rappaport Urban Scholars Tapped for Leadership Posts
Seven current or former Rappaport Urban Scholars currently were recently appointed or reappointed as chairs or vice-chairs of key committee in the Massachusetts State Legislature and two more were tapped for leadership posts as well. In the Senate:
- Sen. Jack Hart has been appointed as majority whip;
- Sen. Thomas Kennedy was tapped as co-chair of the Joint Committee on Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure; and
- Newly elected Sen. Barry Finegold will be vice-chair of the Joint Committee on Housing.
In the House,
- Rep. Kevin Honan, was reappointed co-chair of the Joint Committee on Housing;
- Rep. Charles Murphy was appointed Assistant Majority Leader;
- Rep. Alice Peisch is the newly appointed co-chair of the Joint Committee on Education;
- Rep. Jeffrey Sanchez was reappointed as co-chair of the Joint Committee on Public Health;
- Rep. William Straus was tapped to co-chair the Joint Committee on Transportation; and
- Rep. Steve Walsh is new co-chair the Joint Committee on Health Care Financing.
In addition, Governor Deval Patrick tapped former Rep. Peter Koutoujian, also a former Rappaport Urban Scholar, to fill the vacant post of Middlesex County Sheriff.
The Rappaport Urban Scholars Program provides scholarships to the Kennedy School’s Mid-Career/Master in Public Administration program for local elected and appointed officials.