What does the evidence-based research suggest to explain the gender pay gap?
In the United States, full-time women workers earn, on average, 20 percent less than men. In this video, Hannah Riley Bowles, Roy E. Larsen Senior Lecturer in Public Policy and Management; Co-director, Women and Public Policy Program; Area Chair, Management, Leadership and Decision Sciences Area, lists three things that explains this gender pay gap.
- Bowles, H.R. (2014). Why women don't negotiate their job offers. Harvard Business Review [website]. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2014/06/why-women-dont-negotiate-their-job-offers.
- Goldin C. (2014). A Grand Gender Convergence: Its Last Chapter. American Economic Review, 104(4), 1091-1119.
- Goldin, C. and Katz, L.F. (2011). The Cost of Workplace Flexibility for High-Powered Professionals. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 638(1), 45-67.
- Kim, M. (2015). Pay Secrecy and the Gender Wage Gap in the United States. Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, 54(4), 648-667.
- Blau, F. (Host). (2017, March 23). The Gender Wage Gap: Extent, Trends, and Explanations with Francine Blau [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-mdhms-68f668.
- Dubner, S. (Host). (2016, January 7). The True Story of the Gender Pay Gap [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from http://freakonomics.com/podcast/the-true-story-of-the-gender-pay-gap-a-n....
- Moss-Coane, M. (Host). (2019, April 23). Equal Pay Day: closing the gender wage gap [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from https://whyy.org/episodes/equal-pay-day-closing-the-gender-pay-gap/.
- NBC Nightly News (Producer). (2016, August 28). Massachusetts Passes New Law Aimed at Equal Pay with WAPPP Executive Director Victoria A. Budson. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/massachusetts-passes-new-law-aimed-at-equal-pay-753216067634.
- Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto (Producer). (2017, April 20). Gender, Equity and Prosperity with WAPPP Executive Director Victoria A. Budson. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/NRqEGoqxk4A.