Student Opportunities and Resources
There are many opportunities for Harvard students interested in criminal justice policy.
The Program in Criminal Justice hires students for various research projects. Positions will be posted here when available. There are three current openings:
- Research Assistant — Criminal Legal System Literature Reviews
- Research Assistant — Roundtable on Racial Disparities in Massachusetts Criminal Courts
- Research Assistant — Data, Decriminalization, and Racial Equity
Courses relevant to criminal justice policy are offered at Harvard Kennedy School as well as across Harvard.
- View the Harvard-wide online course catalog
- View a sample list of relevant crime, punishment, and violence courses (updated Fall 2021) at Harvard
PCJ works with the HKS Office of Career Advancement (OCA) to assist students with researching a career in criminal justice policy.
Based at Harvard Kennedy School, the student-led Safety and Justice PIC (Professional Interest Council) convenes students from across the University who are interested in creating a network for shared communication around criminal justice reform, careers in criminal justice, or opportunities for activism.
The PIC and PCJ host a wide variety of events. Past events include:
- Justice in an Era of Mass Imprisonment
- The Week We Shaped the Future of Policing (series)
- Challenges to Democracy: The Future of Policing
- Crises in Cities: What's Next?
- Lessons from the US Criminal Justice System: Applications for Youth & International Development
- Criminal Justice Lunchtime Talk (series): What Happens to Prisoners Once Released? with Bruce Western
- A Discussion with Philip J. Cook on The Dubious Role of Research-Based Evidence in the Gun Debate
- Harvard Event: Prison USA: The Dilemmas of Mass Incarceration
- Book Talk and Reception with Mark Moore, Recognizing Public Value
- Careers Seminar addressing summer internships, careers, and Policy Analysis Exercise (PAE) strategies
- Screening and Discussion of the film, The House I Live In
- Building a 21st Century Policy to Address Domestic and Global Drug Challenges
- Rule of Law Engagement in Post Conflict States—Where Now?
Do you need help finding a Criminal Justice PAE client or a summer internship? The Program in Criminal Justice has a strong network of alumni and practitioner research partners. Feel free to reach out for assistance to explore opportunities that satisfy your individual needs. Our work has involved areas such as human rights, performance management, crime prevention through environmental design, re-entry, and much more.