The Sustainability Leadership Council (SLC) is a senior leadership body tasked with making strategic recommendations to Harvard Kennedy School's Dean, Douglas Elmendorf, to drive the HKS sustainability agenda forward. In its broadest sense, that agenda seeks to ensure that HKS operations support international goals of sustainable development: promoting equitable improvements in the wellbeing of people today, while exercising stewardship of the Earth’s life-support systems on which the wellbeing of future generations depends. Each year, the SLC identifies two priorities to develop programming and pilot projects around to pursue our campus sustainability goals.
The SLC works in coordination with Harvard University and the Office for Sustainability. Appointments to the SLC are made by Dean Elmendorf.
The role of the SLC:
- Explore living laboratory connections that could integrate the real-world challenges of sustainability into the Kennedy School experience and use the campus and the local community to pilot innovative research and projects.
- Share knowledge, experience, and feedback on strategies and projects and how they may interact and influence many aspects of campus operations and life.
- Regularly review the HKS Sustainability Plan (HKS intranet login required) and recommend strategic updates.
- Monitor and guide the implementation of the HKS Sustainability Plan and supporting alignment between the Sustainability Plan and University Sustainability Goals.
- Recommend specific projects and budget requests to the Dean.
- Facilitate coordination of sustainability groups, activities, and events at HKS, including the Green Team and the Climate, Energy, and Environment Professional Interest Council (CEEPIC), thereby fostering strong awareness and engagement.
Contact: Emily Flynn-Pesquera, HKS Sustainability Manager
Daniel Patrick Moynihan Senior Lecturer in Public Policy and Public Finance
Chief of HKS Campus Operations
Professor of the Practice of Public Policy
Senior Lecturer in Public Policy
Ryan Family Professor of Human Rights Policy
Kirkpatrick Professor of the Practice of International Affairs
Louis Bacon Senior Fellow in Environmental Leadership
Chief Human Resources Officer
Assistant Director of Student Services
Emily Flynn Pesquera
Senior Sustainability Manager
Executive Director, Center for International Development
Director of Digital Strategy Management, Office of Communications and Public Affairs
Grace Lam, MPP/MBA
Teresa Chen, MPA
Kanwal Sodhi, MC/MPA
Andrew Wei, MPP
Louis Guerin, MPP
Harvey Brooks Research Professor of International Science, Public Policy and Human Development