Mason Program Admissions
Applicants to the MC/MPA Program who hold citizenship from a developing, newly industrialized, or transitional economy country must apply through the Mason Program.
The Master's degree admission application deadline for fall 2017 admission consideration is Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 11:59 EST. To start an application for 2017 Master's programs admission consideration, click here.
Mason Program Requirements
- Citizenship from a developing or transitional economy, or newly industrialized country.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of full-time relevant work experience by June 30 of year of enrollment. Competitive candidates for the Mason Program typically 14 years or more of work experience.
- Minimum TOEFL score of 600 for the paper-based test (PBT) or 100—with a score of at least 25 in each section—for the internet-based test (iBT). For those taking the IELTS, a minimum band score of 7 is required with a score of at least 7 in each section. Only applicants whose four-year undergraduate degree was conducted fully in English, or whose native language is English, are exempt from the TOEFL or IELTS requirement. Please note that there is no exemption for applicants who have completed a Masters degree or PhD in English.
- Some applicants may be asked to participate in an interview with a professor or officer from the School.
The formal application includes:
- an online application form
- payment of the $100 application fee
- several essays
- three letters of recommendation
- official transcripts from all the universities you have attended
- you may self-report your test scores for the purposes of submitting your application, however the Admissions Committee will not review an application until official test reports for the required exams are received. Applicants must take all required tests by the application deadline, and if official scores are not available at the time of the application deadline, applicants should enter their own test registration and score information on the application. If official test score information is not received by January 1, the Admissions Office reserves the right to mark the application incomplete for review, the application file will be closed, and the application fee will not be refunded.
Applications are evaluated on a variety of criteria, including the quality of each candidate’s professional experience, prior academic performance, potential for influencing public decisions, and evidence of English language proficiency.
Please refer to the instructions included with the online application for complete details on application requirements.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
The Mason Program is not a financial fellowship program. Most Mason Program students at Harvard Kennedy School are supported by fellowships through their employers, governments, or grant agencies, with these funds supplemented by personal and family resources. Visit the Student Financial Services website for information on scholarships and financial aid. For information on tuition and fees, please visit the Tuition & Financial Aid section of our website.
If you have previously applied to HKS and would like to reapply for this upcoming academic year,
- Submit new online application and pay the application fee
- Submit new essays
- If you have applied within the last three years, you may re-use the following:
- test scores (GRE and GMAT scores are valid for five years; TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years)
- recommendations (it is advisable that you select at least one new recommender to submit on your behalf)