You are welcome to cross-register into Harvard Kennedy School classes if you are a student at Harvard University, MIT, or the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University.
Here are the necessary steps you will need to take.
For Harvard University students
Cross-register into HKS through my.harvard.
- Select “course search” to browse the course catalog
- Add the course(s) to your Crimson Cart
- Validate and submit your petition(s). You will submit a petition into an HKS course once the registration period has opened.
- Once approved by the HKS Office of the Registrar, you must enroll yourself in the course to appear on the class roster and receive credit
For MIT students
Visit MIT’s Add/Drop application site to submit your HKS cross-registration requests.
- Harvard instructors will receive notifications that you are interested in cross-registering into their courses
- Instructors approve or deny requests online
- Check the MIT Add/Drop online application for updates on an instructor’s decision
- You are not officially registered in the class until the HKS Office of the Registrar has approved your petition. If approved, the HKS Office of the Registrar will enroll you.
- Your enrollment will be communicated back to MIT
For Fletcher students
Visit the Harvard University Course Catalog website.
- Click on "Account Registration" to register for a Harvard ID number using your official school e-mail address. Once you receive your Harvard ID number, claim your Harvard key at https://key.harvard.edu/ (Even if you already have a Harvard ID and Key, please complete the registration form. Once identity validation is complete, you will receive an email with your Harvard ID and instructions on how to claim your HarvardKey. You can then login to my.harvard to petition Harvard courses.)
- Log into https://courses.my.harvard.edu with your Harvard key
- Select and add your course(s) to your crimson cart
- Click on your crimson cart and select the course(s) to submit your petition enrollment request(s)
- Your petition will be reviewed by the instructor once the cross-registration period has begun
- Once your petition is processed, you will receive an e-mail to confirm whether you have been registered. If HKS confirms your enrollment, you should attend and participate in the class even if it does not yet appear on your home school record.
If you are a student interested in auditing a course at Harvard Kennedy School, you will need to contact the faculty member or faculty assistant for the course and request permission. Audited courses may not be taken for credit, and may not be converted into credit for use toward a degree at a future point. Further, students may not re-take an audited class for credit.
If you are a student outside of Harvard University, you must create a Harvard XID account by using your official school e-mail address. Once your request is approved, the faculty member or faculty assistant will grant you "guest" access to the Canvas course platform.
Jointly listed courses hosted at HKS
If you are enrolled in the Harvard school where the course is listed, you will already have access to the course page. If you are a student at MIT or the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, however, you will be enrolled in the course through cross-registration—either with HKS or the other school—and will have access as an enrolled student.