You are welcome to cross-register into Harvard Kennedy School classes if you are a student at Harvard University, MIT or the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. Here are the steps you will need to take.
For Harvard University students
Cross-register into HKS through my.harvard and:
- Select “course search” to browse the course catalog
- Add the course(s) to your crimson cart
- Validate and submit your petition(s). You will submit a petition into an HKS course once the registration period has opened.
For Fletcher students
Visit the Harvard University Course Catalog website and:
- Log in with your Harvard XID and PIN, which you can create using your official school e-mail address
- Select and add your course(s) to your cross-registration list
- Click on your cross-registration list and submit your request once you’ve selected your courses
- Your petition will be reviewed by the instructor once the cross-registration period has begun
- Once your petition is processed, you will receive an e-mail to confirm whether you have been registered. If HKS confirms your enrollment, you should attend and participate in the class even if it does not yet appear on your home school record
For MIT students
Visit MIT’s Add/Drop application site to submit your HKS cross-registration requests
- Harvard instructors will receive a notification that you are interested in cross-registering into their course
- Instructors approve or deny requests online
- Check in the MIT Add/Drop online application for updates on an instructor’s decision
- You are not officially registered in the class until the HKS Registrar has approved your petition
If you are a student interested in auditing a course at Harvard Kennedy School, you will need to contact the faculty member and/or faculty assistant for the course and request permission.
If you are a student outside of Harvard University, you must create a Harvard XID account by using your official school e-mail address. Once your request is approved, the faculty member or faculty assistant will grant you "guest" access to the Canvas course platform.
Jointly listed courses hosted at HKS
If you are enrolled in the Harvard school where the course is listed, you will already have access to the course page. If you are a student at MIT or the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, however, you will be enrolled in the course through cross-registration—either with HKS or the other school—and will have access as an enrolled student.