Do international participants attending a program on campus at Harvard Kennedy School need a current visa to travel to the United States?

  • No, if you are a citizen of a country participating in the Visa Waiver Program
  • Yes, if you are a citizen of another country - in this case, you typically will need a B-1* visa

Please follow U.S. State Department guidelines to obtain a visa. Harvard Kennedy School cannot assist in this process other than providing a visa support letter if you are admitted. It can be a lengthy process to obtain a visa, so be sure to apply at least 12 weeks before your program's start date.

*Please note: Program participants are not considered full-time students at Harvard University and thus are not eligible for Harvard University's F-1 student visa sponsorship.