Session Date-Application DeadlineProgram Fee$10,900Faculty ChairProgram Director
Program Fee: The program fee includes tuition, housing, curricular materials and most meals.
Executive Certificate: This program is a core program in the Public Leadership concentration. This program can also be used as a third program for any concentration in the Executive Certificate series.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs): This program aligns with one or more Executive Core Qualifications.
Highly interactive and experiential, Art and Practice of Leadership Development executive program is tailored for executive leadership development professionals from around the world, including leadership consultants, teachers, and trainers. During this one-week, on-campus program, you will work closely with our distinguished HKS leadership faculty team, led by Faculty Chair Tim O’Brien, to develop innovative leadership frameworks and teaching methods that address the unique demands of this work. Through class discussions, participant cases, and small group work, Art and Practice of Leadership Development provides a powerful, reflective, and unique opportunity for those focused on developing the leadership capabilities of others.
Developed by Harvard Kennedy School faculty, Art and Practice of Leadership Development features a distinctive teaching pedagogy exploring:
- The common assumptions people have about leadership and how these assumptions limit the way they learn and practice leadership
- How the dynamics of your organization can support or impede leadership development activity
- The difference between the practice of leadership development and other personal development work
- The place for values, passion, and character in leadership development
- The ethics of leadership development, especially when using experiential methods
All participants will be required to develop a case outlining a past or current professional leadership challenge of their own for consultation among peers in the program. These peer case consultations will serve as the primary practice of the program - emphasizing the importance of diagnosing challenges to determine what leadership development might entail based on the challenge people are facing.
Art and Practice of Leadership Development is designed for experienced leadership development and consulting professionals from global organizations in the public, corporate, and nonprofit sectors.
Because the professional experience and expertise of the classroom participants is critical to the learning process, the cohort chosen will reflect a broad spectrum of perspectives and backgrounds, including:
- Government training and development officers
- Senior officers and trainers from corporate HR leadership development departments
- Senior managers from nonprofit and grassroots community-building organizations delivering leadership training
- Academics from professional schools, universities, and colleges engaged in curricular and co-curricular leadership development programs
- Principals of consulting firms advising clients on leadership in private, public, and nonprofit sectors