Session Date-Application DeadlineProgram Fee$10,600Faculty ChairProgram Director
Program Fee: The program fee includes tuition, housing, curricular materials and most meals.
Executive Certificate: This program is a core program in the Public Leadership concentration. This program can also be used as a third program for any concentration in the Executive Certificate series.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs): This program aligns with one or more Executive Core Qualifications.
Throughout the world, a new generation of leaders is emerging. But what skills will these up-and-coming managers need to lead most effectively in this new era?
Emerging Leaders is designed to develop and expand the capacity of tomorrow’s leaders. This on-campus program, led by Faculty Chair Christopher Robichaud, brings together renowned Harvard faculty and an international cohort of rising professionals from the United States and abroad for an empowering and energizing week of learning. During the program, you will gain the skills and strategic frameworks necessary to capitalize on opportunities, overcome obstacles, and enact change.
The Emerging Leaders curriculum is designed in three parts: skill building, integrated communications, and policy analysis.
An interactive simulation will challenge you and your peers to confront and diagnose a crisis as well as develop cooperative strategies to advance your vision. Faculty will focus on advancing your skill sets in the areas of negotiation, persuasion, coalition building, ethics and leveraging internet technologies. Lectures will address how countries grow and develop in the global economy, the infrastructure of modern government, political power in a cyber world and non-military global crisis management.
Case studies, group discussion teams, as well as experiential exercises and selected guest lecturers will contribute to a unique and collaborative learning environment during your week in the classroom on campus.
Attending Emerging Leaders will provide you with:
- Effective leadership and design communications and negotiations strategies and strategic messaging plans.
- Tools to build strong, accountable agencies and institutions at the national, regional and local level, even in situations obstacles of corruption and weak governance.
- An understanding of how to act in real time, mobilizing knowledge for social change and harnessing the power of social media and the internet
- Skills for fostering trust, negotiating wisely and cooperating successfully in a political environment
- The ability to make evidenced-based decisions in a world of ambiguity
- Awareness in key policy areas affecting the well-being of your country and community
- The capacity to exercise moral leadership within your organization and structure your environment in ways that promote ethical decision making
Emerging Leaders is designed for rising U.S. and international leaders looking to take their career to the next level. The program welcomes leaders in government, corporate, and nonprofit organizations who wish to better understand the aspects of leadership and to improve their capacity to lead.
Candidates can be early in their career with 5-15 years of professional experience or senior leaders further in their career looking to raise their performance or make a change.
Recommended applicants include:
- Rising political leaders
- Government managers
- Military officers
- Professionals from nonprofit organizations, public interest groups, and the corporate sector