The upcoming October 2020 session of Senior Executive Fellows will be offered in a special online format due to the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Faculty Chair Dana Born, along with digital learning experts at Harvard, have reshaped the curriculum to meet the needs of virtual learners by making sessions highly interactive and focused on the main objectives of the curriculum: preparing top managers to become future leaders.
The four-week online program will focus on key themes critical to effective leadership in the U.S. federal government, international governments, as well as their counterparts in the military, private, and nonprofit sectors. Specific areas of focus include political management, authentic leadership, foundations of authority, policy development, strategy and performance, decision making, innovation, negotiation and persuasion, technology and data, and implementation.
Access an outline of a typical program week here.
Just as SEF on campus is in place of your full-time job, the expectation is that participants in the online program will be engaged full time and not be working on other projects. This will give you the greatest benefit for developing your executive potential. Participants are expected to commit a minimum of 15 hrs/week to live sessions and approximately 15 hrs/week to self-study time. All participants must have stable internet connections and be able to consistently and easily access Zoom technologies.
The online version of the Senior Executive Fellows will include:
- Interactive Live Sessions - One-hour long sessions with a mix of case discussions, exercises, and lectures.
- Faculty Consultation Sessions - Optional Group meetings with the faculty to discuss questions and issues.
- Faculty Office Hours - Individual appointments with Faculty Chair Dana Born to discuss professional and personal development.
- Leadership Challenge - Individual challenge that participants are currently facing in their work and would like to make progress on during the program.
- Live Peer Group Working Sessions - Pre-assigned working groups designed to engage deeper with your peers to prepare and reflect on the course material and provide consultation on your leadership challenge.
- Self-Study Modules - Self-paced learning opportunities based on custom video content and reading materials that build upon and complement the live sessions and focus on the key themes of the program.
- Affinity Groups - Optional Opportunities for participants to exchange ideas or engage deeper on topics of professional interest nominated by the cohort.
Through an array of online modalities, you will be immersed in the curriculum and make progress on your individual leadership challenges, while connecting with your peers and developing a robust network of colleagues that will last a lifetime.
Apply online by August 18 and share this unique online executive program opportunity with colleagues who may also benefit. All participants of this online session must have a stable internet connection. During the program, participants are expected to commit a minimum of 15 hours per week to live sessions and approximately 15 hours per week to study time.
The cost of this online program is $14,475. Upon program completion you will receive a Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education certificate of completion. If you are working towards an Executive Certificate, this online program qualifies for the Public Leadership Executive Certificate series.
For participants from the US Federal Government, the program incorporates the Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) for Senior Executive Service (SES).
*Program fee qualifies for use of GI Bill/VA Benefits