You don’t have to be “in charge” to be a leader. If your position requires you to align your team to pursue a common goal, or to persuade even a single colleague to go along with an idea or make an important change, you need proactive, strategic leaderships skills. Otherwise, you will be in perpetual reactive mode, allowing others to set the agenda and determine your organization’s direction.
Strategic Leadership: Enhancing Your Personal Effectiveness, a one-week, online program from Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education, provides the cutting-edge tools you need to become a more effective leader. Developed by Faculty Chair Robert Wilkinson and featuring experts and scholars from across Harvard University, this program emphasizes four key leadership domains: perception (understanding relevant information), process (engaging with other stakeholders), people (recognizing the role that emotions play), and projection (understanding the stories we tell ourselves and others).
This interactive online program will translate those “4P” concepts into practical tools you can use to improve the way you lead, make decisions, and interact with others.
Grounded in real-world situations leaders face today, the Strategic Leadership: Enhancing Your Personal Effectiveness online executive program relies heavily on active experiential learning. This includes lively, interactive sessions using the Harvard case-study method and featuring small-group discussions, lecture, video, and opportunities to practice and hone new skills. (Self-paced readings and multimedia assignments are required prior to live, online sessions.)
Throughout this intensive online program, you and your global cohort of peers will:
- Gain greater insight into your own leadership style, habits, and disciplines
- Acquire new tools and resources to tackle future leadership challenges
- Learn how to engage with people and groups that hold deeply differing views and perceptions
- Discover how to work more effectively with teams and manage processes
- Learn to recognize people’s emotional needs and the impact leaders may have on them
- Refine your vision and narrative for yourself and for your followers, constituents, and community
Strategic Leadership: Enhancing Your Personal Effectiveness is intended for senior leaders in government, corporate, and nonprofit organizations who wish to better understand the personal aspects of leadership and improve their capacity to lead.
Those who will benefit from this program include:
- Senior leaders in government at the national, regional, and local levels
- Executive directors and senior leaders of nonprofits and NGOs
- Senior leaders in the private sector
- Leaders of social movements
- Union leaders
This immersive online program has an estimated time commitment of approximately 20 hours of live sessions and five to 10 hours of peer and self-paced work. Be prepared to help shape the discussion by identifying a specific leadership challenge and to question your own ideas about leadership. View a sample program schedule from a previous session. Note that module titles, speakers, and sequence may change.