Image of students in Town Hall on HKS campus.

Replacement Diploma

In case of loss, theft, or destruction of an original Harvard Kennedy School diploma, replacement diplomas can be obtained by filing a request with the Office of the Registrar. To request a replacement send a letter stating the reason for the replacement and a check or money order in the amount of $150 (US) made payable to Harvard University. Requests should be sent to:

Harvard Kennedy School
Office of the Registrar
Attn: Diploma Replacement
79 JFK Street
Cambridge, MA 02138

Preparation of the document may take four to six weeks. When the diploma is ready, it will be sent via insured and certified mail. If you would like to receive a receipt of when the package is sent, please include a current email address.
Letters of request must include the following information:

  1. Full Name
  2. Diploma Name (name recorded on the original diploma)
  3. Degree Awarded
  4. Date the degree was granted
  5. Original Signature
  6. Shipping address including a telephone number

Please note that damaged diplomas MUST be returned in order to process the request.

If a diploma is destroyed in fire or any other catastrophic event, we require a copy of the insurance or police report.

If a diploma was stolen, we require a copy of the insurance or police report.

If the diploma is lost in a move, we require some type of proof be it insurance or notarized statement stating the facts.

Legal Name Changes: Original diploma must be returned. A graduate cannot hold two diplomas. Supply a copy of the court document or notarized letter confirming the legal name change.

John F. Kennedy School of Government 79 John F. Kennedy Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-495-1100 Get Directions Visit Contact Page