HKS and Harvard OSP Proposal Submission Guidelines
In order for RAO to review proposals in the most efficient manner, please contact Charlene Arzigian or Martha Goldberg at the RAO as soon as you are aware that you will be submitting a proposal.
HKS and Harvard OSP Proposal Submission Deadlines:
To the RAO ---> (10) days ahead
For all submissions, whether a federal or non-federal sponsor, the complete and final proposal must be submitted to the RAO at least (10) full working days in advance of the sponsor's due date in order to allow sufficient time for final RAO and Academic Dean review.
Click here to view the policy.
To OSP (Office for Sponsored Programs) ---> (5) days ahead
For all submissions, whether a federal or a non-federal sponsor, the OSP must receive the complete and final proposal reviewed by the RAO at least (5) full working days in advance of the sponsor's due date. The RAO will forward the proposal to OSP via GMAS once the review is complete.
Example: Your proposal is due on Monday, July 22 --> It must be locked and routed to OSP by the end of the day Friday, July 12 or no later than 9:00 a.m. on Monday, July 15 in order to meet the deadline. Proposals that are locked and routed later in a day (e.g., 2:00 p.m.) are not counted as received by OSP until the next day.
- The following components are included in RAO's review: budget; obtaining approval, if necessary, from the Faculty Committee on Projects and Proposals (FCOPP); overhead shortfall waiver requests; Provost's approval, human subjects, and subcontracts. RAO will also work with OSP to begin the University-level review as early as possible, prior to OSP receiving the final proposal.
- The sponsor's due date is defined as the date and time after which the sponsor will no longer accept proposals. In cases in which Harvard is a subcontractor, the sponsor’s due date will be determined by the submitting institution. Schools may impose additional requirements regarding review and approval by School-specific committees of sponsored programs proposals, including international proposals.
- If Harvard internal deadlines are not met and OSP does not have sufficient time for a thorough review, the proposal may not be submitted.
- Requests for an exception to this policy must be made in writing by the RAO in coordination with the Principal Investigator.
In order for RAO to review proposals in the most efficient manner, please follow these guidelines:
- Contact the RAO as soon as you are aware that you will be submitting a proposal.
- Send RAO a link to the URL for the relevant program/program solicitation to which you will be applying, if applicable.
- Let us know the background of the proposal, and whether the PI has already been in touch with the sponsor. Giving us as much information as possible on the history of the proposal is very helpful and will improve our turn-around time.
- Upload proposal materials into an initial proposal in GMAS and email RAO, to start the review process. Hard copies are required only if multiple copies must be sent to the sponsor.
- For all non-federal proposals where the sponsor does not indicate a firm, fixed deadline, the RAO will consult with the PI and staff and will together determine the most realistic "effective" deadline. Once agreed, that date will then become the firm deadline for all intents and purposes, and the review and approval calendar will work backwards from that date according to the schedule above.
- Please refer to the Putting Together a New Proposal page for a more complete checklist and timeline of steps for preparing and submitting a new proposal.
For National Science Foundation Proposals:
All NSF proposals are submitted via NSF’s electronic Fastlane system. Please contact the RAO as soon as you are aware that you will be submitting a proposal. Please send a link to the URL for the relevant program/program solicitation to which you will be applying.
If you are a first-time NSF PI and are not registered as a Fastlane user, please contact the HKS Office for Sponsored Programs representative, Karen Rizman, who will be able to register you as a Fastlane user.
In order for the RAO to have access to the proposal on Fastlane, we will need the PI’s login information. Please send this information to the RAO as soon as you begin working in Fastlane.
Helpful web addresses: