Students come to Harvard Kennedy School from around the world to expand their skills, knowledge, and network. They graduate equipped to engage boldly with the future and make a difference in every sector across the globe.
HKS graduates serve in a variety of positions and sectors around the world but share common strengths, including:
- Leadership skills
- Creative and analytical thinking
- Dedication to improve the lives of others
- Insight and know-how to drive change
They are graduates of our four master’s degree programs:
Master in Public Policy (MPP) Program
A two-year program for students with at least two years of work experience. Over the past five years, about 19 percent of MPPs pursued a combined MBA, JD, or MD degree.
- First year: core coursework in economics, ethics, leadership, negotiation, politics, policy design and delivery, and quantitative analysis
- Second year: focus on a concentration, which culminates in the Policy Analysis Exercise applied thesis
Master in Public Administration in International Development (MPA/ID) Program
A two-year program for students with at least three years of development-related work experience, including in a developing or transitional economy country. Over the past five years, about 15 percent of MPA/IDs pursued a combined MBA or JD degree.
- First year: PhD-level coursework in micro- and macroeconomics and econometrics with an emphasis on policy applications to development; courses in politics and governance, management, and the theory and practice of development
- Second year: focus on an issue area in development, culminating with the Second Year Policy Analysis capstone project
Master in Public Administration (MPA) Program
A two-year program for students with at least three years of work experience who have completed a minimum of four graduate-level courses (two quantitative) or hold a relevant graduate degree. Over the past five years, about 64 percent of MPAs pursued a combined MBA, JD, or MD degree. The flexible MPA curriculum deepens their knowledge and skills to prepare them for major leadership responsibilities in the public, nonprofit, and private sectors.
Mid-Career Master in Public Administration (MC/MPA) Program
A one-year program for established, high-performing professionals with about 13 years of work experience. The flexible MC/MPA curriculum boosts their knowledge and skills needed to pursue leadership positions in public service across sectors.
D found his way from Mississippi to Harvard Kennedy School with plans to return to the South.
Michelle wants to marry the individual care of medicine with big-picture health planning.
For Ingrid, a journey that started with a career change has led to achievements in education policymaking.