RAO Mission Statement: Who We Are
The Research Administration Office supports and advances Harvard Kennedy School’s mission to train enlightened public leaders and generate ideas needed to solve the world's most challenging public problems. We provide expertise to:
- Facilitate faculty research of all kinds;
- Ensure compliance with School, University, and external sponsor policies and regulations;
- Maximize exposure to HKS faculty research and other output through broad dissemination to internal and external audiences.
- Research development support, including identification of relevant funding opportunities and creation of tools and resources to support submission of proposals for extramural funding.
- Pre-award proposal review to facilitate the development and submission of highly competitive proposals that are both responsive to sponsor guidelines and aligned with School and University missions and policies.
- Post-award support and monitoring to ensure fiscal responsibility in the management of sponsored funds and compliance with financial and programmatic reporting obligations.
- Research compliance expertise and consultation regarding potential conflicts of interest, human subjects protection issues, export control considerations, effort reporting obligations, and other University and sponsor regulations.
- Research dissemination through the Faculty Research Connection, Faculty Research Working Paper Series, Social Sciences Research Network, and Twitter to amplify the impact of HKS faculty scholarly and policy outputs.
- Development and implementation of School and University policies and procedures to support all facets of sponsored project management.
- Co-leadership of the HKS Gifts Proposal Advisory Committee (GPAC) to coordinate review and approval of selected philanthropic proposals and gift terms.
- Outreach and engagement with the School and University through committee leadership and participation, distribution of relevant metrics and other reporting, and coordination of an expanded array of online and in-person training opportunities aimed at diverse audiences. Other avenues include RAO Coffee Wednesday meetings and the RAO Newsletter and Blog.
- Interim staffing support for Center pre- and post-award needs during staff vacancies and under other extenuating circumstances.